Gabriel Agreste (Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir)
"Fly away my evil/little akuma, and evilize him/her!"— Hawk Moth/Shadow Moth, Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
Gabriel Agreste is the main antagonist of the animated series, Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir. He is the boss of the Gabriel fashion line. He is the father of Adrien Agreste and the former husband of Emilie Agreste. He is also Hawk Moth/Shadow Moth/Monarch, the wielder of the Butterfly Miraculous (as Shadow Moth, he has the Butterfly and Peacock Miraculouses and as Monarch he has the Butterfly and 15 other Miraculouses).
Why He Miraculously Sucks
- When it comes to parenting, he's usually a strict parent who wants Adrien to be perfect at all times for no explained reason.
- He makes Adrien learn fencing, piano, Chinese and do modeling for his job (although he lets Adrien quit).
- In "Captain Hardrock", when Adrien is playing the piano for him and misses one note, he forbids Adrien from seeing his friends even though he already promised he would.
- Sometimes he's neglectful towards Adrien. He never shows up to spend time with him.
- In "The Bubbler", he couldn't even make time for Adrien's birthday and he made Nathalie buy him a gift. He also refused to let Adrien have a birthday party.
- He only noticed that Adrien snuck out twice.
- He kept Adrien homeschooled for years against his wishes. In fact, this might be the reason Adrien's worst nightmare is being trapped (mentioned in "Sandboy").
- Despite his goals of helping his family, he's willing to hurt his son.
- In "The Collector", he was going to hurt Adrien once he was willingly akumatized, meaning he did that by his own conscience.
- In the "Cat Blanc", he akumatizes his son and he manipulates Cat Noir by bringing up Emilie's death.
- He tries to akumatize him again in "Ephemeral" and orders Adrien to obey him, sounding more like Adrien's a servant.
- He's mean to pretty much anyone, like when he didn't let Simon Grimault finish his hypnotism trick.
- He's the supervillain Hawk Moth, who turns people evil and practically brainwashes them into doing his bidding.
- He's obsessed with his dead wife, who he wants to revive using the Ladybug and Cat Miraculouses.
- If you already thought this was pathetic, just wait until you find out he wants to rewrite reality just to bring Emilie back.
- For a serious villain, he does a lot of monologues and evil laughs.
- It's hard to take him seriously when he always loses.
- Hypocrisy: He doesn't let Adrien go out since it's too dangerous, but he doesn't have any problem with Riposte trying to kill him.
- He has no remorse hurting others. This'd work, since he's a villain, but he actually likes seeing people get hurt and encourages his victims' violent behavior, making him unsympathetic.
- In fact, he doesn't have any problem with Nathalie using the Peacock Miraculous for a majority of season 3, even though she might die from it like Emilie did.
- His designs as Hawk Moth, Shadow Moth and Monarch are ugly, which is odd since he's a fashion designer.
- His writing is inconsistent. In the first season, he's never worried about Adrien's safety near akumatized villains and he plans on taking over the world, when it's later revealed that his goal is to bring his wife back to life. In "Ikari Gozen", he wants to have the Dragon Miraculous, too, even though it has nothing to do with his goal.
- He abuses Nooroo by using his power for evil.
- He's an idiot.
- For some reason, he keeps on doing the same thing over and over rather than trying things that could work (Catalyst, Optigami, Hack-San). If he wants to keep on akumatizing people, he should at least bring back good villains, as he winds up akumatizing villains like Reflekta and Mr. Pigeon multiple times, but he won't bring back good villains like the Pharaoh or Kwamibuster.
- It's pathetic when his Fei manages to steal the Ladybug Miraculous and his teenage nephew, Felix, manages to steal 15 Miraculouses when he's rarely been close to retrieve the Ladybug and Cat Miraculouses.
- He underestimates the heroes often, even though they defeat him every time.
- He even manages to lose with the Rabbit Miraculous in "Evolution", which allows him to travel through time.
- He could just akumatize himself with the power to time travel/recover people and avoid hurting anyone.
- The writers try to make him sympathetic, but they ended up making an abusive, obsessive, stupid sociopath.
- His voice actor, Keith Silverstein, does a good job.
- He looks good as Gabriel.
- He sometimes spends time with Adrien and was even willing to quit being Hawk Moth and spend time with him.
- He's a decent villain and can be taken seriously half of the time.
- The concept of Hawk Moth's powers and motive are interesting and could be done right.
- As mentioned in WHMS#9, his losses are justified since he has to lose or else the show ends.